Friday, September 25

p3net.net Microwave Experiments Cause Sponge Disasters - p3net.net

Microwave Experiments Cause Sponge Disasters

If you ever needed proof that the media has very little to do and lots of time to do it in…

At the University of Florida, a team discovered that when left in the microwave for a full two minutes on high power, a large variety of bacteria can be killed on kitchen sponges. They described how they soaked the sponges in wastewater and then zapped them.

This report sent people hurrying to test this newfound discovery.

Of course, this ‘discovery’ would have been much more ‘amazing’ had the people decided to listen closely - they forgot to wet the sponges.

“Just wanted you to know that your article on microwaving sponges and scrubbers aroused my interest. However, when I put my sponge/scrubber into the microwave, it caught fire, smoked up the house, and ruined my microwave” one person wrote.

“First, the sponge is worthless afterwards so you have to throw it out instead of using it. And second your entire house stinks like a burning tire for several hours, even with windows/doors open,” complained another.

The university then issued the following advisory: “To guard against the risk of fire, people who wish to sterilize their sponges at home must ensure the sponge is completely wet. Two minutes of microwaving is sufficient for most sterilization. Sponges should also have no metallic content. Last, people should be careful when removing the sponge from the microwave as it will be hot.”

This news article brought to you by the “Criminally Obvious” department.